Friday, December 13, 2013

BLESSINGS IN RED AND GREEN and THE EXUBERANCE OF INVENTION

                                                         Blessings in Red and Green
                                                              acrylic painting print
                                                                 Sandra J. Pineault


As I wandered through my digital art chest, this "Christmasy" piece popped up and asked to be
my holiday greetings.  Even with children and grandchildren grown and away there still is much to be done so this is my sharing.  Wandering among different projects I am enjoying exercising creativity in word as well as with my hands.  I am busy working on my memoirs online which I find very satisfying.

Blessings in Red and Green reminds me of a newspaper piece I put aside to share with you from  the Wall Street Journal where I find many articles of inspiration.  This one in the Dec. 4, 2013 issue was titled Motherwell and the Exuberance of Invention.  Apparently at one point Motherwell studied with Chilian Surrealist painter Roberta Matta.  Matta urged Motherwell to try "automatic drawing."  He told him to let go of conscious intention and allow the subconscious, assisted by speed of execution to take over the aesthetic act.  The article went on to say that Leanardo had planted the seed of free association centuries earlier by encouraging artists to notice "landscapes" in stains on the wall and such.

Motherwell's drawings led him to collage.   Later in the article Motherwell, it says, was led to
 "the exuberance of Invention." 

This article resounded with me.  It confirmed what I enjoy in both my drawing and my painting.
It is also what I feel, letting myself be "led" by either the paint, the design, or just something within me trying to get out.  So often when I see art in galleries that is stilted and trapped, as it were, I wish I could be in that studio and help the artist to experience "the exuberance of invention."  It is joy unleashed. Those days when that experience came about I would shout to my husband to come and see what I had done, what had been done in spite of me….like a child.  That really is what artists like myself strive for, that forgetfulness of the ego and its demands.  What better time to begin to understand that then at the wonderful time of Christmastide.


                                                        Merry Christmas to you and yours!


2 comments:

  1. I agree that the experience of creating the art is what counts. I often wonder about "modern" art, the minimalist painter. How do they feel when they create? I would be bored.

    Merry Christmas, Sandra! Hope you have a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same back to you! I was wondering the same thing. Getting lost in it all is what the journey is all about! Thank you so much for commenting, it means a lot and encourages me to keep going with the blog.

      Delete

To blog readers: it would be great if you would add a comment!