Tuesday, November 27, 2012

"SHOSHIN" CHALLENGE


"Shoshin is 'beginner's mind' believed to be derived from Zen,
it describes a state of mind that always remains fresh, never bogged down
by its own past."

                                                       from The Japanese Way of the Artist



Lately, we have been taking mini-vacations as it were, breathing sessions.
Walking meditations when we simply wander off to less frequented parks, natural
conservation paths.  On a cold day recently we were at this spot. Taking a little camera with me
I remember my photographer Mom telling me to just keep taking photos....and that is what
I do.  It is a delightful respite.  I am never sure what download surprise will await me. 

This was one of those surprises,

Like an oriental vista this scene enchants me. In the second photograph I played with it to
further simplify the design. The negative spaces create the intricate design.  The
lines and big space of sky, sea and shore like yin and yang with the
linear web composed by the structures.

One could go abstract with few lines or strictly realistic with
direct and factual design.  It would be wonderful to see what you would do. 
The number of views this blog enjoys has grown and grown.
It is very gratifying.

However, the silence is deafening.
Perhaps now some one or more of you might join in?

Would you like to be part of this experiment?
ACCEPT THIS CHALLENGE.
CREATE A DRAWING, A PAINTING, SOMETHING
BASED ON THIS PHOTOGRAPH.
I AM CALLING IT A SHOSHIN CHALLENGE.


Send me photos of your artistic composition of this scene
and I will post them. 






                                                                       
                                                                         Shoshin
                                                                           2012
                                                          Photograph by Sandra J. Pineault




No comments:

Post a Comment

To blog readers: it would be great if you would add a comment!