Friday, June 8, 2012

A NEW KIND OF DRAWING



FLAMINGO TRIO
graphite drawing
contour method
archives
Sandra J. Pineault

When I first started to seriously study art, it was in the realm of drawing. My mentor was big on negative space.  In delving into that theory, I developed a method of
drawing with small, nearly stitch like strokes 
allowing me to stay in the area of negative space and abstract organic  positive forms.
I did many drawings like this one, using an entire soft drawing pencil for each large piece as 
 a kind of meditative state set in. Often I would turn the paper in different directions to be sure that I was not falling into drawing only the form.  One could also, and I did, create more imaginative abstract forms in the negative space areas allowing for  a fascinating depth of field.

As always, Vincent was my muse. Studying his preparative sketches one can see
 this genre of drawing.
Doing this also creates an ambience for color.

When I worked with children it was fun to have them do a Vincent-alike
learning another way to approach art.

If you like this drawing and want to see more, let me know as I still have a few.
Meanwhile, here is one of Vincent's sketches.



The Road to Tarascon
by Vincent Van Gogh
in
Vincent Himself
ed. Bruce Bernard

This is one of my favorite books on Van Gogh

No comments:

Post a Comment

To blog readers: it would be great if you would add a comment!