Tuesday, April 10, 2012

ART BEYOND SIGHT

ART BEYOND SIGHT
exhibit of works from the students
of the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind
and the Women of Vision Program
Cummer Museum of Art
Jacksonville, Florida

A few years ago I was privileged to go to this exhibit.  The Cummer has become a 
leader in providing art education for people who are low vision or blind.
The exhibit included a wall of pottery peonies the students had created that
 danced across a wall.
The tactile experience was unbelievable.  Since I do most of my work
on heavily collaged and textured paper, the exhibit was even more
inspiring.  It is not only our eyes but our hands and fingers  that lead us to
new paths of discovery.  One of my favorite drawing methods is
to close my eyes and just let my hand lead my pencil
in its own dance.

Are we ever thankful enough for all the senses we enjoy?
Do we celebrate them?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To blog readers: it would be great if you would add a comment!